Here is what’s for dinner tonight…
What you will need:
1 lemon (zest the outside and cut in 1/2)
8 oz Peppers (mixed yellow, orange, red) frozen or fresh
8 oz Broccoli frozen or fresh
8 oz Green Beans frozen or fresh
6 oz Corn frozen or fresh
4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (about 1 lb)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 and 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
4 tsp paprika (sweet or smoked)
1 1/2 cups mariana sauce (homemade or store-bought)
Spray cooking oil or Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (4 tsp)
What to do:
1. Place non stick skillet over medium heat add 2 tsp of the coconut oil or spray skillet with cooking spray.
2. Place vegetables and lemon peel in melted oil and cook 8-10 minutes until tender, stirring every couple of minutes to cook vegetable evenly. Then add 1/4 tsp black pepper. When done transfer to a plate and keep warm.
3. Season chicken on both sides with the remaining black pepper, salt, and paprika.
4. If needed add remaining 2 tsp of coconut oil or spray skillet with more cooking spray. Add chicken to skillet and brown on both sides, about 6-8 minutes a side depending on your skillet. While the first side is browning squeeze half the lemon over the chicken, being careful not to get seeds in the skillet.
5. When both sides are browned add back in the vegetables. Squeeze on the other half of the lemon and add in the mariner sauce. Stir then reduce heat to low/medium, cover, and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring if needed.
Finished and plated
Serve over egg noodles, or for a healthier option serve over whole wheat noodles or brown rice. You can just serve as is too. Also my father and husband like to shake a little Texas Pete on top of it before eating.
Amount of seasoning can be adjusted to your taste. You can also add more or less vegetables and adjust the recipe to serve more or less people. You can also add different vegetables according to what you have in you freezer or on hand. Other good ideas are zucchini, squash, cherry tomatoes, okra, etc. You can also substitute turkey breast for the chicken if that is what you have.
Prep time: If vegetables are frozen: 4 minutes. If vegetables are fresh: 6-8 minutes depending on how fast you chop.
Cook Time: 28 – 36 minutes
Serves: 4 people
Serving size: 1 chicken breast and 3/4 cups vegetables