Chicken Friday…

So the ladies seem to be over their trauma from the storm and heat… we went from eight to ten eggs a day to being lucky if we got five. I know this is normal with the temperature increase and the storms, but I am glad they have adjusted and we are getting eight eggs again.

They continue to spend a lot of time around the watering buckets and pool…

So with this week being so weird with the holiday falling on a Wednesday… I worked two days then was off one, then worked two more… I am looking forward to two more days off. I have my cleaning gig for the elderly couple I help tomorrow. Then need to get my house back in order and clean as hubby is well enough again I can clean up the basement where he has been staying while he was sick. I felt bad about making him sleep and be down there, but I didn’t think it would be good if I got sick too.

It is supposed to be up over 100* heat all weekend so I plan to be inside a lot. What is it suppose to be like in your neck of the woods this weekend?

1. Christie
    Jul 06, 2012 @ 17:13:42

We are having a horrible, extended heat wave and drought here in central Indiana. It is truly awful – I think it was supposed to get to 102 or so here. Of course, we also just got three new young-ish chickens, so we’ve been cranky and sweating it out with them each day, toting ice and refreshing bird baths and feeding them yogurt and frozen blueberries. It would be great if it would stop now!

Jul 06, 2012 @ 22:24:43

I agree it was over 102* here and supposed to be more like 110* tomorrow we are code red all weekend… frozen blueberries I will have to try that. We have a baby pool the girls like and share with the dogs. I agree it would be nice if the heat would stop… not my favorite weather too hot to do much of anything and there is so much to be done outside 🙂

2. Laura Rittenhouse
    Jul 06, 2012 @ 20:55:41

I live in Australia so it’s winter in my neck of the woods. We’re getting a lot of news about your heat wave and fires (and flooding in England – it’s not a good month for weather) so I’m not complaining about the cold here. Not that I really can complain about it – in Sydney we never get to freezing and most days the temp reaches mid to high 60s so winter is really lovely here. I know my chickens prefer the cold. Their down jackets are not suited to hot weather!

3. wordsfromanneli
    Jul 06, 2012 @ 23:59:00

So good of you to remember to give your chickens extra water!

4. FanaticOne
    Jul 07, 2012 @ 10:25:59

Live in Phoenix.. so having 105+ temps is pretty much the norm till around early September. We keep the girls well topped off with water and provide a small pool to dip their feet in.. seems to do the trick. We have topped out so far this year at 111, but should see a few days around 115. That’ll be the real test 😉

Jul 07, 2012 @ 20:18:13

Do you have bad humidity? I think that is our issue here… its 102* to 105* but it feels like 110* or hotter… ug. I hope you have a way to stay cool and your girls survive the heat. What type of chickens do you have? We have rhode islands and they are fairly heat tolerent… but still have to keep them hydrated 🙂

• FanaticOne
        Jul 08, 2012 @ 01:33:19

We do get humid during the monsoon season. As for the chickens, we have Rhode Island Reds, Cuckoo Morans and an Easter Egger. They all seem to be holding up well, but the worst heat is yet to come.

Jul 08, 2012 @ 14:51:42

I hope the chickens all survive… I am pretty sure your Rhode Islands will as ours do well. I hope the heat bypasses you and moves on 🙂

• FanaticOne
        Jul 08, 2012 @ 16:16:13

Fraid not.. not till September. Today 110, tomorrow 113 forecast.. then a ‘cooling trend’ back into the 105-107 range for the rest of the week.

Jul 08, 2012 @ 19:58:32

Well try to stay cool… it is a good excuse to eat ice cream and stay inside 🙂

5. Chancy and Mumsy
    Jul 07, 2012 @ 15:33:48

Glad the ladies are back to laying more eggs for you. Stay cool in this awful hot weather. Hugs

6. rejoicefortheday
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 10:12:01

Rain is finally in the forecast for us this next week. I cannot wait!

Jul 08, 2012 @ 14:50:48

We are getting some rain Sunday afternoon… I just hope it doesn’t come with a bad storm like last Friday night. Hope you get some much needed rain too 🙂

7. countrygirllifeonthefarm
    Jul 08, 2012 @ 17:04:04

It’s been in the high nineties all weekend and I’m sick of it. Give me the fall and winter anytime. I’m allergic to the sun and hate being cooped up in the house all the time. I don’t know what my hubby would do if our daughter and son-in-law weren’t around to help him when they can.

8. topher79
    Jul 09, 2012 @ 10:39:53

I enjoyed the picture of the, gathered around the water bucket, gossiping no doubt 😉

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )