Loss of a Lady…

I am sad to report one of our ladies has disappeared. I am not sure how long she has been gone, but I am thinking not long as there were 10 just the other day. I am sad as this is our first lady to go of the ones we raised from babies. Hubby thinks she never went back in the coop the night before last when it was storming so bad and Chase was going crazy trying to get out into the back yard when we got home late. It may have been and something got her. But I guess life goes on with one less chicken… doesn’t mean I can’t be sad for a moment she is gone.

1. marysmemories
    Jul 21, 2012 @ 12:39:45

So sorry to hear of your loss. Theyare so precious espicially as you have reared them from a young age.

2. newsferret
    Jul 21, 2012 @ 12:39:52

I hope she was only scared away and will be back soon.

3. Sarah
    Jul 21, 2012 @ 12:55:50

Oh, it’s always so sad when you lose one. We had a hen inexplicably die a couple of weeks ago. I agree-it’s the cycle of life, but you can still feel a bit of sadness over it.

4. amy@afternoonpopcornsnack
    Jul 21, 2012 @ 13:20:26

Oh, I’m sorry! I guess it’s the way of nature, but it’s still sad. 😦

5. Mary K. Doyle
    Jul 21, 2012 @ 14:28:39

I am sorry for your loss. You care for the little ones with love and appreciation for the eggs they give.

6. gardensunshine
    Jul 21, 2012 @ 14:40:42

awww, it is always sad to loose one.

7. Animalcouriers
    Jul 22, 2012 @ 03:19:17

It’s always sad when you lose one of your girls. Especially when you don’t know what happened.

8. cubbyholes
    Jul 25, 2012 @ 23:49:46

Sorry to hear she went missing 😦 It always hurts to lose friends (2 and 4 footed) who have shared our lives.

Jul 27, 2012 @ 16:07:31

Thank you for the comment… it was tough as this was the first chciken as an adult I raised and almost lost. She has been found though so I am grateful.

• cubbyholes
        Jul 27, 2012 @ 17:01:44

woohoo! Thank God. Where was she? Is she ok?

Jul 27, 2012 @ 17:05:19

She was in the neighbors bushes I couldn’t see her when I went to look and my hubby found her when he got home from work. She is hurt, looks like an animal swipped her back and wing feathers off, but she appears to be healing. We have her in an old wire dog crate in the basement where she can rest. I am posting updates as I can. I hope she will heal and lay again, but I am not counting on the laying. Thanks for checking in 🙂