Flowers and Chickens

The flowers in my garden are blooming and taking over. I have Shasta daisy and these black eye susans that just keep growing. I noticed this more as I have been out in tha yard and garden a lot watching the hurt chicken get use to being back in the yard with the other chickens. So far she is getting used to being in the yard, but doesn’t want the other girls too close. She mostly walks around then finds a spot to lay down.

She seems to be healing like she is supposed to as she is getting feisty when we take her in and out of the crate to go outside daily for some exercise. I think soon we can leave her out, we will just have to make sure she gets in the house at night to be locked up. Want her and the other ladies to get more comfortable with each other before we leave her out full-time as her feathers are still not back and I want to make sure they won’t peck her at night or in the AM in the coop before we let them out in the yard. Will keep you posted. Blessing of the day is the lady is healing and the weather this week has been beautiful.

1. Animalcouriers
    Jul 31, 2012 @ 15:12:38

Ah, great to see her in the outdoors and fresh air. Her feathers might take a while to grow but if the skin has healed she should be fine. Has she shown any inclination to make her own way to the coop? If so, then is the time she’s ready.

Jul 31, 2012 @ 17:59:47

She has kind of eyed it and I put her in ther, but she just froze then got out of there as soon as hubby was done mowing near her. She mostly stays in the yard and under the deck. I will give her a few more days and trips to the yard to see if that improves. πŸ™‚

2. Laura Rittenhouse
    Jul 31, 2012 @ 17:36:02

I’m so glad the hurt chicken is doing so well. You’ve obviously done a great job in taking care of her. She’s a lucky chook.

3. Chancy and Mumsy
    Jul 31, 2012 @ 18:13:23

Your black-eyed susans are very pretty. Glad to hear that that sweet lady is healing and walking around outside. Happy to here you had beautiful weather to enjoy too. Hugs

4. cubbyholes
    Jul 31, 2012 @ 18:21:29

Sooo glad your lovely girl is healing up well and getting her spunk back! My flowers have mostly given up the ghost after the long drought and heat waves. It’s gorgeous yesterday and today, but I don’t think many of them will recover. Ah well.

5. Cassandra
    Aug 01, 2012 @ 02:34:57

Sounds like your chook is healing up nicely – you’ve done a fantastic job of nursing her. I have heard of some paint stuff you can put on bare patches to discourage pecking if you get desperate. Aren’t those flowers just so cheerful!

Aug 01, 2012 @ 19:11:38

She seems to be doing well and is getting more comfortable outdoors πŸ™‚ I got some of this purple spray stuff I used as a kid and seemed to coat it well enough. πŸ™‚ The flowers were happy ones that is why I just had to share them πŸ™‚

Aug 01, 2012 @ 19:11:38