Advetures in Canning

So my new hobby this year is canning. I mentioned before I think that I have tried canning corn relish, tomatoes, and jelly. Wendesday and Thursday I started to can my from scratch tomato sauce as I have so many tomatoes and the sauce has filled up the freezer (along with my home-made chicken stock: which I plan to try to can later-more to come 😉 ) I have been happy with my canning efforts so far, but want to step it up and fill up the pantry more for the coming winter. I have seen many others canning idea and have found a few more to try including apple sauce, chicken stock, and dilly beans.

Tomato sauce, corn salsa, jelly (on top), and tomatoes

My husband will tell you I can not sit still so when things quiet down I find a new hobby to fill my time. I have taken on baking, cooking, therapy dog event’s with Baxter, some agility training with Chase, cleaning, blogging, gardening (flower, fruits, and veggies), cleaning for an elderly couple once a month to help them out, numerous bible studies, and may other things. I find being busy keeps me happy and focused. My mom says I have been this way all my life… always the busy child. So we shall see where this new canning adventures take me… wish me luck 😉

(If you have any tips or canning ideas please feel free to leave them for me 🙂 )

1. Rayni
    Aug 31, 2012 @ 19:50:36

Been wanting to do this but just haven’t had the time. Herb-infused oils and vinegar would be great too! For salads 🙂

2. tchistorygal
    Aug 31, 2012 @ 20:53:43

You are busy! Tell us how everything works out this winter!

3. Rejoice For The Day
    Aug 31, 2012 @ 21:33:09

I have canned once with a group of friends. It was a lot of work but a lot of fun and rewarding as well. I have hopes to make some corn relish one day soon for my dad. Gardens can keep one busy well after the season! On a Bible study suggestion, there is this site with lots of them and you might be interested to check it out: kjtruth.com There are lots of studies on all kinds of topics.

4. the blonde gardener
    Aug 31, 2012 @ 23:47:00

I like to can, too. I found a nifty little tool at Williams-Sonoma. It has a magnet on each end and it picks up the flat lids from your hot water. I think it was $3. Not sure what it was called or what I should call it for that matter.

Sep 01, 2012 @ 08:49:21

I will have to check that out it sounds like soemthing that would be helpful as the lids are the hardest to get out of the water unstuck 🙂 Thanks for the tip 🙂

5. investigator25
    Sep 01, 2012 @ 07:46:40

So tasty in the winter when the snow is too deep to go to the store to have a tasty treat from last summer’s garden.

6. fromscratchhome
    Sep 02, 2012 @ 09:36:08

I’d love to get into canning. I just have to wait to be a bit more settled in one place for a while (about to finish grad school and move). You sound a lot like me… always busy, and interested in many of the same things. Good for you! As long as you keep a balance life is wonderful when filled with fruitful activities! 🙂

Sep 02, 2012 @ 16:29:37

God has a way of providing balence in my life I have found. Canning is fun for me others tell me it feels like a chore…. but if you like it and get a place you can stay for a while it is fun and if you do it right it can save you money. 🙂

7. tjh67
    Sep 02, 2012 @ 10:11:05

I have never tried canning. Is it easy to do? Id love to make salsa and tomato sauce to stock up on.

Sep 02, 2012 @ 16:27:54

It’s not too hard you just have to have the time, equiptment, and a little know how and you will learn the rest as you go 🙂 Tomato sauce is pretty easy to can as is salsa 🙂

• tjh67
        Sep 02, 2012 @ 17:07:13

Thanks! I might just look into this then. I bet I could find a starter kit at Amazon.. (they have everything there!) : )

Sep 02, 2012 @ 17:08:04

I bet they do or Target has a good starter kit also and it was on sale the other day. I got a lot of my stuff from yard sales so it was cheep 🙂

8. ohblessyourheart
    Sep 02, 2012 @ 12:56:50

We’re in the process of turning our city yard into a farm with the intent of canning like crazy! It looks like you’re doing very well…keep up the good work!

9. thekramerkat
    Sep 02, 2012 @ 17:08:08

Canning is totally on my “someday” list of projects to take on. There’s just something about a beautiful row of jars all lined up with pretty food inside…feels like all is right with the world, like the family is all taken care of…

Sep 02, 2012 @ 17:10:23

I could not agree more…. I think it is just so comforting to see cans lined up and waiting 🙂 I hope you get to it someday too. I have learned that kids can help with some parts too and as the get older the more they can do. My cousions daughter helps me with some things and she is 3. 🙂

10. P. C. Zick
    Sep 04, 2012 @ 08:49:33

Good for you! This is a good hobby to have. You do need to get that magnet thingy – mine came with a basic canning supply kit. Yesterday we put up 14 pints of salsa. We already have 14 quarts of pasta sauce. Very satisfying.

11. saraharnusch
    Sep 05, 2012 @ 21:14:33

I can never can enough diced tomatoes in their own juices. I ran out waaaay too early last year. And be sure to keep a good inventory list. I have made things in the past that were fun to make and tasty, but we could just never find enough ways to use it up.

12. Eleenie
    Sep 15, 2012 @ 03:01:35

They look great, a very worthwhile hobby indeed! 🙂

13. Correna
    Sep 27, 2012 @ 11:23:14

I enjoyed canning my tomatoes, and today I am going to try my hand at canning some pears. We have a pear tree and although it didnt give many pears I dont want to waste them so I am going to try canning them today. Have you canned anything like that?

Sep 28, 2012 @ 21:27:43

I used some pears in my apple sauce and for spiced pears they were both good 🙂

• Correna
        Sep 29, 2012 @ 10:49:36

Okay, good thought to remember, I have a few pears left over and I am going to make applesauce this next week. If you don’t mind me asking, Do you have a recipe for the applesauce using pears in it? and if so, could you share it with me, I am still looking for a recipe. Thanks so much. Have a great day.

Oct 01, 2012 @ 20:58:00

I used an applesauce recipe (I just basically cut/cored and cooked the apples and added the sugar I wanted). If you find an applesauce recipe just sub one pear for one apple (or one lb for one lb) and it should turn out fine 🙂

• Correna
        Oct 01, 2012 @ 22:50:17

Thank you so much. I will do that. We are going apple picking tomorrow (if it doesnt rain). And I am going to make applesauce this weekend. I appreciate you answering me. Have a great day/

Oct 01, 2012 @ 22:51:12

No problem so happy I could help. You have a wonderful day too 🙂

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w