Preparing for the weather…

So supposedly we are going to get up to 3 feet of snow between 11 PM tonight and tomorrow sometime. I have yet to see a drop of rain they predicted we would have by nowΒ and the temperature is still in th upper 30’s. Tractor

When hubby and I first heard of the storm we knew we had to do a few things to get ready. So, yesterday we cleaned up the chicken coop, the laying boxes, the water, the feed troughs, the floor, etc and disinfected it since we had the lady die on Sunday (and are still not sure what she died from). We cleaned everything up and got rid of old bedding, etc. Then we sprayed some animal safe stuff to disinfect the boxes and sleeping areas. We then let it all dry and air out, added nice new bedding back, and made sure the heat light was still working. The girls seem happy with a clean coop and run. Tonight hubby made sure there was extra food out, scratch all over for them to find in the run, and a full water bucket. We did all this incase we actually get the snow they are predicting and we can’t get out to them in the morning.

Hubby also made sure things were tied down as they said the snow will be accompanied by wind. We made sure the generator was on the porch and full of gas ready to go. There is food in the house, propane in the grill, and treats for the dogs to keep them busy tomorrow as if it snows they won’t get out as much. We are as ready as we will get… so I guess all we need now is the snow πŸ˜‰

1. Anne
    Mar 05, 2013 @ 22:08:28

Oh, my. Good luck to you all with the storm. Sending prayers and good thoughts your way πŸ™‚

Anne

Mar 06, 2013 @ 09:05:22

Thank you for the thoughts and prayer. I think we will be fine as we keep things preped well for the winter as I am sure you have to do also. The chickens will be nice and warm in their run as long as the power keeps the heat lamps on. πŸ™‚ Hope this storm missed you are you all don’t get any more snow this year πŸ™‚

2. stuffitellmysister
    Mar 05, 2013 @ 22:29:20

Oh snow prep……our last batch missed us….but our kids got a foot of it 2 hrs away….go figure. I HOPE it misses you. But glad you are ready. Be safe β™₯ paula (p.s. love the tractor pic!)

Mar 06, 2013 @ 01:28:28

You were busy! πŸ™‚ Glad to hear you are all prepared for the snow and glad all your ladies will be warm just in case! Hope everything will be OK for all of you! Happy Wednesday! πŸ™‚

Mar 06, 2013 @ 09:46:26

Yes and that is only about 1/2 of what we do to get ready. Always have to have extra gas around for the generator, make sure the shovles are out, the sidewalk out of the house is salted, the tractor will start incase we need it, etc. Most of those things we do on a regular basis, but it’s always a good idea to do a last minute check πŸ˜‰ I am glad our ladies will be warm in the clean bedding incase the power goes out and they won’t have their heat lamps. Happy Wednesday πŸ™‚

4. Gullringstorpgoatgal
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 05:08:25

Hej from Sweden!
    We haven’t got that kind of warning for more snow, in fact we are experiencing high temps that is actually melting our snow during the day and turning what’s left to ice in the nights. I do feel we will see winter’s last push before we see Spring’s arrival. And like you, there’s always a lot to do no mater what the weather when you live on a farm!

Mar 06, 2013 @ 09:47:43

I am glad you have had some nicer weather and hopefully you have seen the last of the snow πŸ™‚ I know you understand all the work that goes into having animals and yours are bigger then mine requiring more work πŸ˜‰

5. Gullringstorpgoatgal
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 07:10:00

Hej from Sweden!
    I just saw the reports on CNN and BBC about the new winter storm. Much of today’s coverage is about the death of Hugo Chavez and all the global implications. But I did see the weather report for USA and I hope it won’t be too terrible for you .
    Be careful and be safe.

Mar 06, 2013 @ 09:48:53

Wow our weather made that news… that is crazy… we have about 6 inches at the time you commented and we expect doubble that or more they say. I’m sure we will be fine and we will be careful πŸ™‚

6. doublebhomestead
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 14:33:20

Sounds like you are all ready to ride out the storm. You are welcome to have my share of the snow, I don’t want it!

7. Judy@grandparentsplus2
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 19:21:14

Just like a boy scout troop – you’re all prepared. πŸ™‚

8. thechickroost
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 20:41:06

What do you use to disinfect your coop?

Mar 07, 2013 @ 10:10:25

You can use a mixture of viniger and water or we found a spray in the local feed store that is safe for chickens and disinfests the coop. I am not sure of the name, but when I go to the coop later I can look πŸ™‚

9. Chancy the Gardener
    Mar 08, 2013 @ 12:30:00

Oh, my!! That is a lot of snow, we sure hope you didn’t get that much. If you did get a lot we hope you are okay and staying nice and warm. Hugs and nose kisses