Spring Surprise

Are you ready for the surprise I promised yesterday…. Baby chick Chick face

Baby chicks… Buff Orpington baby chicks to be exact ๐Ÿ™‚ I am really excited about trying a new bread and these ladies are supposed to grow upย to be a nice brown/tan color.

We gotย them at one of many feed stores we have been checking out to see who was going to get what bread in. When I heard this feed store hadย Buff Orpington’s coming in I wasย a happy lady (I also wanted eater eggers, but they didn’t have them… maybe next year) ๐Ÿ˜‰ Box

Theย dogs seem to be enjoying the new ladies and are like me… theyย could watch the ladies for a long time. ย I keep a good eye on them and they are not allowed in the room without my hubby or I just for safety reasons… even though they have both been though having baby chicks in the house before and get along well with those chickens now, you can never be too careful ๐Ÿ™‚ Chase look Bax look

After we got them home they ate and drank right away and then took a nap.Chicks eat

I know some of you may have thought I was going to announce a human baby… no luck in that area yet, but baby chicks still fill a mom instinct when they are babies ๐Ÿ™‚ ChicksI am so excited for new ladies to raise and get fresh eggs from and it helps after loosing aย lady the other week ๐Ÿ™‚ I will keep you updated on their progress and growth as well as their cuteness ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Judy@grandparentsplus2
    Mar 14, 2013 @ 15:30:28

Baby chicks are the absolute cutest! Hope they lay you lots of beautiful eggs.

Mar 14, 2013 @ 15:33:33

They are suppose to lay light brown eggs… hopefully they will be different enough from our current brown egg layers, but if not that is fine too. I am just excited to see the pretty brown color they are supposed to be ๐Ÿ™‚

2. GullringstorpGoatGal
    Mar 14, 2013 @ 15:31:58

Hej from Sweden!
    Oh soooo cute! We have Buff Orpingtons and they are so beautiful and fluffy. They reminded me of that cute kid’s story about Henny Penny so all my ladies are called Henny Penny. How fun to have cute babies.
    Have fun!

Mar 14, 2013 @ 15:40:00

I am hoping to have lots of fun with these ladies… they are good photo subjcts so far ๐Ÿ™‚ How cool you have buff’s too.. I heard they are more fluffy and soft then other egg laying breads. I know Henny Penny story and used to be able to recite it as a kid. How are your ladies about laying.. how often? They said they are supposed to lay as much as the rhode islands. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Animalcouriers
    Mar 14, 2013 @ 16:20:02

Such fun is going to be had. Loads of photos please ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. Sarah
    Mar 14, 2013 @ 16:43:15

Congrats! I’ve always wanted Buff Orpingtons and last year we finally got them. They were adorable chicks and have grown up to be beautiful fine fat wonderful egg layers. We love our Buffies! (as we call them.) http://www.flickr.com/photos/58067032@N06/8095371560/in/set-72157626186037983

Mar 14, 2013 @ 16:52:15

Great photo of your buffie ๐Ÿ™‚ That is cool we have the same kind. Funny how you want something and it is cool when yu get it finally ๐Ÿ™‚ I think our girls will be Buffies too if that’s okay ? ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Renie
    Mar 14, 2013 @ 17:19:59

Buff Orpingtons are the best. I have one and she is the sweetest thing EVER! She follows me around like a puppy, enjoys being petted and even seems to like it when I hold her. She’s my best pet of the flock!

Mar 14, 2013 @ 17:27:55

Oh that is good news I love our Rhode Islands and some of them let me handle them easily ๐Ÿ™‚ I am happy these ladies will be just as neat ๐Ÿ™‚

6. vuchickens
    Mar 14, 2013 @ 22:31:24

Yay!!! So cute! Looks like your dogs like watching them as much as we do!

7. homesteadredhead
    Mar 14, 2013 @ 22:34:03

Super cute, chicks are the absolute definition of cuteness. We had one of this breed too, but he turned into an aggressive rooster so he found a new home. Good luck with your little ones!

8. Jessie
    Mar 14, 2013 @ 23:32:27

Nothing says spring like baby chicks! I’ve also had Buff O’s and I agree, they were great I’m sure you’ll love them too!

9. Correna
    Mar 14, 2013 @ 23:33:01

Ooh, they are so adorable. I am glad you are happy. Love the pics. I have nominated you for the Liebster Award!! Go here: http://correnadotme.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/the-liebster-award/ for the details!

10. lodgehousebandbsomerset
    Mar 15, 2013 @ 11:36:36

Lovely photos of your chicks. Hope they grow up healthy and strong.

Mar 15, 2013 @ 13:37:12

Congratulations! They are so beautiful! ๐Ÿ™‚ Love how your dogs are looking at them! ๐Ÿ™‚ I could stare at them for a long time too!

Mar 15, 2013 @ 21:55:00

They do stare Chase more then Baxter so I have to make sure he won’t get any wise ideas ๐Ÿ˜‰ I think he wants to play with them and since he can’t he just stares, looks at me, stares, wants a belly rub, then stares again ๐Ÿ˜‰

12. willowcreekfarm
    Mar 15, 2013 @ 14:46:50

SO cute! Thanks for sharing. I must admit that my Buff Orpingtons are my favorite hens in the flock. They are beautiful and have very friendly personalities.

Mar 15, 2013 @ 21:55:44

I think they will become my favorites also, especially if they get the color I think they will and have the temperment other’s tell em they have ๐Ÿ™‚

13. merecracker
    Mar 16, 2013 @ 14:19:17

We r on our second round of chickens getting them from the store and watching them grow up. They grow up so quickly.

14. cliffsview
    Mar 18, 2013 @ 17:02:04

Mega-cute. Love the dogs’ interest.

Mar 18, 2013 @ 20:08:36

Thanks… the dogs have been through this once before with us and this time they seem more interested to watch them and not so much to lick them ๐Ÿ˜‰