Ten Things Learned While Raising Chickens

Keeping chickens is a big job. Much of the time you are learning new things about chicken keeping and the rest of the time it is maintaining of food, water, health, etc. Along this process you learn a lot and have a lot of fun.

Here are ten things I have learned so far about raising chickens:

1. The more you handle them as young chicks, while they are still in the  heat lamp box, it will make your chickens easier to catch, better tempered, and just easier to work with should you need to if they get sick, hurt, etc.buff chicks

2. Loosing your first chicken is the worst… it never gets easy, but each one after isn’t as hard.Chickn

3. Having your own fresh eggs when ever you need them is the best feeling.New eggs

4. Knowing you “grew” your own food makes you feel accomplished and healthy.Sepia Chick

5. Build the coop/run you want from the beginning, chickens don’t like changes to where they lay and sleep. They will show you by laying fewer eggs for a while.Chickens laying

6. Hubby says they are a lot more work then you think, cost more money then you think, and poop a lot.Buff bottom

7. Each chicken has their own personality, just like a person.Buff chick

8. Chickens like mischief and some jump fences.Buff chick fence

9. Chickens love tasty treats especially watermelon, corn cobs, and bread.Big chick breaks in

10. Chickens provide amusement and comic relief… no TV needed.Chickens run

1. sagescenery
    Sep 06, 2013 @ 22:25:02

I think your chickens are the most beautiful I’ve ever seen!! Really!

Sep 06, 2013 @ 22:34:24

Why thank you so much… you are too kind 🙂 I do love my girls and try to capture their best side 😉 I am glad that you liked the post photos 🙂

2. Laura Rittenhouse
    Sep 07, 2013 @ 00:45:11

Your husband is right – but don’t forget that all that chicken poop makes great fertilizer and your veggie garden will thank you.

And they have fluffy bums which makes up for that extra work & money.

3. Gullringstorpgoatgal
    Sep 07, 2013 @ 02:28:03

Hej from Sweden!

Loved this post. Having chickens, I agree with all your points. The one point thst I could not participate in is the chicks under the heat lamp. We have not had chicks just young chickens. We also plan on adding to our flock with some rescue battery hens. In fact, we better get them now to give them time yo fatten up and grow feathers before winter. I have always chosen rescue animal but Max and our present hens were not. Really liked this post.
    Cluck !!!

Sep 07, 2013 @ 09:04:06

Adoption is good…we don’t have much of an opportunity in our area. I also love the little fuzzy chicks… they are irresistible 😉 I am glad you liked the post so much 🙂

4. Mags Corner
    Sep 07, 2013 @ 06:58:33

They also know when they are loved and cared for and that shows in your beautiful chickens. Hugs

Sep 07, 2013 @ 09:05:40

Awwww that is so sweet… we do try to have good animal care 🙂 It is important to us that any animal we have gets the best care we can which is why I wanted to share this list to help others know about the job a little 🙂

5. Judy @ GrandparentsPlus2
    Sep 07, 2013 @ 07:33:09

Chicken keeping is a good thing. 🙂

6. fromscratchhome
    Sep 07, 2013 @ 19:58:13

Love the pictures and the tips about chickens! Great post. 🙂

7. Diane
    Sep 11, 2013 @ 11:42:53

Even better, having a hen go broody and letting nature take it’s course!

Sep 11, 2013 @ 15:19:08

I haven’t had much of a problem with broody girls… maybe because we don’t have a rooster?? I heard that when you want chicks it is best to have a good broody girl 😉