Poor Chicken

One of our Buff Chickens has a hurt leg…

Buff chicken

We don’t know how it happened and only can assume it may have happened when she jumped off her perch one morning. She has been hobbling around some, she is eating, and drinking so I’m not sure what we should do…. or if we should leave her alone to heal ? We can’t see anything wrong and when we press on her leg and the joint above she doesn’t peck at us or show pain, but who knows. Any ideas?

1. sfarnell
    May 22, 2015 @ 18:04:48

Generally I find if an animal is eating and drinks, it’s fine. Keep an eye on its leg and see if it heals. If it’s not ok after a few days, get it seen to. I hope the poor chicken gets better. 🙂

May 22, 2015 @ 21:56:34

Thanks. We had a friend tell us tonight they had a chicken with a hurt leg and over time the leg healed so we’re hopeful. Thanks for the input 🙂

2. A Really Small Farm
    May 22, 2015 @ 18:35:42

Hope the leg isn’t broken. I have no idea if she’s broken a bone or just twisted the joint. Can she get up onto her perch?

May 22, 2015 @ 21:54:11

She does get on her perch and hobble around so we’re hopeful. I think maybe it’s just twisted so time will tell. 🙂

• A Really Small Farm
        May 22, 2015 @ 22:28:13

That sounds good. My first rooster fell off of something (I think he fell, didn’t see what happened) and his leg was badly hurt. I had to carry him to the perch at night and take him down in the morning. If I didn’t put him on the perch eh would try to get up there anyway so i figured putting him there was better than him struggling.

During the day he just sat in a corner. I hand fed him until he could walk again but he always had a limp.

May 23, 2015 @ 11:49:20

I think if this girl heals she Will have a limp too. And also stays in mostly one spot in the day but will get up to eat and all. Have a nice weekend 🙂

3. glattheranch
    May 24, 2015 @ 11:35:14

Hope the other chickens dont pick on her. Poor hen.

May 24, 2015 @ 12:20:25

She isn’t getting picked on as of now. She just rests in the coop most of the day. I feel bad she can’t scratch all day but hopefully she’ll heal n be back to that soon. Thanks for your concern.