Chicken Keeper…

Being a chicken keeper is not as easy as it sounds. Like any animal there are daily decisions about care, feed, shelter, etc. Today dilemma was about clipping the new chickens flight feathers as they keep escaping their area and the concern is that our neighbors dogs or other wild animals will get them. As I said the  other day, they are safer inside the area we fenced off for them where our dogs are then outside it. We have a large area fenced for them and our dogs to be.BuffSo today 4 more got out and so we clipped the one that couldn’t figure out how to get back in. Now clipping a chickens wing is something we have never done as we like for them to be able to get up on their perch, fly away from predators, etc… so this was a hard decision. Yet, it came down to the girls are safer in the fence then out of it. If the other’s keep jumping they will need to be clipped to at least this year.Buff x2I was told and have read the flight feathers grow back and if that is so hopefully the girls will have figured out they can’t jump/fly over the fence by the time they grow back and not try. Fingers crossed… one can hope so we can let them keep their flight feather’s next year. 🙂

1. Judy @ GrandparentsPlus2
    Jul 16, 2013 @ 12:44:20

I love our chickens and their fresh eggs but there are challenges. Here’s hoping your girls stay home where it is safe. 🙂

Jul 16, 2013 @ 19:36:37

I hope they stay home safe too, as they haven’t started laying yet so to loose them before that is a waste 😉 Other then that I hate to loose a chicken 🙂

2. lodgehousebandbsomerset
    Jul 16, 2013 @ 13:23:42

Don’t feel guilty about clipping the hens’ wings. We have clipped ours too to stop them jumping out of the chicken fence. This way it keeps them safely in the fence and you don’t have to keep rounding them up. They don’t feel it when you clip them, its like cutting hair!!

Jul 16, 2013 @ 19:35:47

Yes I agree… and your comment makes me feel less bad about 🙂 It has been annoying to keep rounding them up. I know it doesn’t hurt them, but it was that I hate they can’t get up on a high roost without using something to jump on now. But that is better then getting hurt outside the fence. 🙂

3. Homestead Dad
    Jul 16, 2013 @ 15:33:44

Are you only cutting the flight feathers on one side? I have never had to trip flight feathers but have heard/read that it is only necessary to do one side. This being because if they try to fly with only one wing whole, they kind of go in a circle. Just wondering your plans. Thanks.

Jul 16, 2013 @ 19:33:07

Yes, you only cut the tips off the left side (starting in the middle of the feather span if you pull out the wing you will see it and cutting up towards the head) and not on the right. My parent’s used to do this when I was younger, but this was our first time as adults. So far that seem to keep the one in. Hope this helps 🙂

Jul 16, 2013 @ 19:14:29

oh! I just hope they are safe and that the stay inside the fence 🙂

5. edshunnybunny
    Jul 16, 2013 @ 22:08:16

You are right, chicken keeping isn’t always easy, but it’s so worth the effort, isn’t it?
    I enjoy reading your adventures, too 🙂

Jul 17, 2013 @ 16:11:02

Yes it is worth it… When people tell me keeping any animal raising is easy I tend to laugh… I have raised enough animals in my life to know it’s not… but there are rewards to it and that is what keeps it worth it 🙂 I am happy you enjoyed reading my adventures and so happy you commented 🙂

6. daddystractor
    Jul 17, 2013 @ 11:02:21

Sometimes the kindest thing is hard! Here’s hoping they’ll learn soon! 🙂